News

While we would like to tell you about every mission we participate in, we are unable to do so unless the Albany County Sheriff's Office releases information.

ACSSAR Meeting 27 January 2015

The meeting began with a reading of the minutes. Brenna explained what was going to happen at the meeting tonight, a form was passed around for the members to fill out for identification purposes. 
Brenna explained about field member requirements.
She also explained that we will be doing 6 mock searches which will be held on the 2nd Saturday of every other month. The first one will be on feb 14th. These will be held like real searches and members should pack, prepare, and dress accordingly. 
An updated calendar will be available on our website which will include various trainings and the time and place for meetings and classes. The upcoming training was also displayed and talked about out to June. 
Changes were made to snow mobile usage policy, it was handed out and is available on the website. Members have 30 days to review the policy. 
Elections are coming up, new and eligible members are encouraged to apply or run for available positions. 
Vicki went over and handed out the financial report. 
We have the new t-shirts in, they are $12 each. 
Meeting adjourns at 1923 hrs
Tonight's training will be Avalanche training. 
The first part of meeting was recorded via Dragon dictation. Due to either echoes in the room or faulty software the notes were unreadable and uncomprehendable. 
 
Cathi moves to give out donor plaques for those donating $150 or more, Matt seconds and motion passes.
There is continued planning for an excessive, possibly using mass casualties out at the ski area. Neil is working with EMA to find out when this might happen. January meeting, we are still on for Avalanche training. There will also be id pictures. We are also doing member updates. Dan handed out an updated form that has increased detail. The February meeting will consist of a familiarization with the Albany area and knowing how to orienteering to where you may be on a map. There is a draft for a bank grant primarily used to replace gear that was lost or damaged during training or on a search. Brenna will be looking at updating our mission statement and will have a rough draft this week. 
Cathi is concerned that we are not trying as hard as we should looking for other grant possibilities. 
Matt talked about the United way, if we had applied to be a agency through the United way. He discussed how to apply to become affiliated and thinks we should become a designated agency, we could benefit by receiving funding through them. We would have to comply with their annual campaign but could benefit through recognition. We would also have to abide by their restrictions and rules. Our own fundraising efforts would have to be adjusted, along with our volunteer efforts at the Jelm mountain run. Several questions about the application itself were fielded by Matt, and the application can be found on our website. The consensus thus far is to hold off on applying, bring it up to the group as a whole, and get our own ducks in arow before moving forward. 
Dan brought up the previous year budgets and we reviewed how they match up with what actually happened, the budget was a good guideline and isn't too far off what we have and what we've spent. 
Dan would like to put together a budget for 2015 to be reviewed on the next meeting. 
Brenna went over a mock calender setup with the board, discussed having set times and dates for training (specific and non specific). This new setup would be a good guideline as to what may be up and coming and a good reference to members not involved in the planning. 
Upcoming training: next Tuesday the SO would like to do another mock search with ROTC and would like some volunteers from ACSSAR. The volunteers would need to be adept at land nav. Dan will be sending out an email along with the monthly meeting reminder tomorrow. 
The 31st the Ft Collins tracking team will be doing training and some from us are welcome to attend. 
On June 5th-7th there is a JHPTS tracking class in lusk
Land nav with Russel Clark will take place on June 13th and 14th with a possible mock search. 
Cathi would like to start including a hazmat class for the group and will look into the possibility. 
Cathi would also like to include the CAP in one of our mock searches. 
Snowmobile training has been successful thus far and Dan would like to continue devolving riders. 
 
 
 
In attendance:
Dan Hutchinson
Cathi Carr-Lundfelt
Josh Hurt
Brenna Noll
Neil Mathewson
Harold
Matt Allshouse (teleconference)

At 8:24am Albany County Sheriff's Office contacted ACSSAR with a standby request for assistance in searching for three overdue snowmobiler. It was then discovered several of ACSSAR snowmobile team were already preparing for a leisure ride and were then routed to assist in the search. Around 10am all were located safe.

As the winter season begins to take shape,  ACSSAR would like to remind all winter outdoor enthusiasts to be prepared for mother nature. Please take adequate steps to be safe before you venture out this winter.

ACSSAR Board Meeting 18 NOV 2014

1904 Meeting start, Neil and Dan have been working on programing the radios, still not complete due to scheduling. SAR channels have been programmed in, fine tuning is still needed.

Fundraising was discussed by Matt, Vicki has received one check, should get more soon. Matt believes we could do the McAllister’s fundraising annually.

There will be a new member orientation in December. We have one new member confirmed and the board discussed others that are pending.

Cathi brings up that she has some concerns about some the training being planned without her direct input/knowledge. Matt also made a comment that if we keep getting more active members, how would we proceed in managing a unit of 100+ members, Brenna points out that that is on the agenda for tonight.

Due to some discussion with First Aid and CPR classes and expiration dates within the group, Brenna suggested that we hold several 1st Aid classes throughout the year so that new members and members that have out certifications can maintain their certification.

Cathi reminds everyone that we still need to spend the $100 certificate given to the K9 group, she suggested doing an add in the Laramie Boomerang.

The Board and officers discussed getting the donor plaques out before the holidays, doing the top 10 donors and getting the others done early next year.

We want to do the Christmas parade on Dec 6th, at the meeting we plan to ask for volunteers.

The Albany County EMA mass disaster planning has come to a halt for the time being, next training/exercise would be for blizzard.

New Business includes a report from Ann involving the International Mountain Bike Police Association: Ann would like to have the class be taught here, possibly in conjunction with Larimer County. Ann passed out the price information for what the whole training would cost.

Matt got the new ACSSAR shirts for everyone to purchase, they are $12 each, more for extra sizes. It was also brought up that we need to draw up some guidelines for when it is appropriate to wear or display ACSSAR gear.

The will be a 5 day, 40 hour training with the U.S.C.G. for inland search operations, this class would be geared more for higher level management and working with other agencies. The training is set for May 4th-8th.

In Attendance

Dan Hutchinson

Ann Wislowski

Brenna Noll

Neil Matheson

Matt Allshouse

Josh Hurt

Cathi Carr-Lundfelt

Harold

 

Team Mission Report

Team members responding: 10

Miles: 6 vehicles @ 120 miles  round trip = 720miles

Hours: 5 hr = 50 man hours

Other Responding: Albany County Sheriff's Office, Laramie Fire Department, Big Laramie Fire Department, AirLife Denver

 

News Release from the Albany County Sheriff's Office

http://www.co.albany.wy.us/news-release-10302014.aspx

October 30, 2014

- At approximately 5:29 P.M. Deputies of the Albany County Sheriff's office received a call to respond to the area of the Platte River Wilderness Area near the Pickaroon Campground near a trailhead that leads into the wilderness area.

- Dispatch received the call from a man who had been hiking in the area. The hiker had been approached by another man on a horse saying that his friend had fallen while riding a horse and needed medical assistance as it was apparent that he may have broken bones. The man needed to hike to an area where he was able to make cell phone contact to request assistance.

- Albany County Deputies immediately began their response to the area yet due to the remoteness of the area, did not arrive until approximately 7:30 P.M.

- Additional resources had been requested by the responding Deputies, which included (Two) EMT personnel from the Big Laramie Volunteer Fire Department, 10 Albany County Search and Rescue volunteers, and the Flight for Life helicopter and its crew.

- Deputies and other members of the Rescue team immediately began walking approximately one half mile up the rugged trail, where the man was located and it was discovered that he had a compound fracture to his femur.

- Rescue personnel carried the victim out of the trail area, to the awaiting helicopter.

- The victim was then airlifted to a Colorado area hospital to care for his injuries.

 

Robert J. DeBree (Undersheriff)

Albany County Sheriff's Office

Laramie, WY

 

 

 

 

Albany County Sheriff’s Search & Rescue  is placing the following Snowmobiles up for sale via bid.

To schedule a visit or place a bid email:

Bidding will end Nov 7th, 2014, 5:00pm

Please include snowmobile number, bid price, contact name and phone in bid.

A minimum bid of $200.00 each

Snowmobile #1

For Sale: 2001 Polaris  600 RMK
136” Track
2554.7 Miles

Last Serviced in 2013

 

 

 

Snowmobile #2

For Sale: 2002 Polaris  500 RMK

136” Track
1628.9 Miles

Last Serviced in 2013

 

 

 

 

 

ACSSAR Board Meeting 21-Oct-14

Old business started with our radios, we now have some and they are usable. Matt hasn’t heard back from MacAllisters yet, he will check with them Wednesday. Brenna talked about the Search Management training and some points brought in to help organize management such as post it notes or dry erase boards, this might be something we may acquire soon. There are also several forms that we are looking at incorporating into the trailer, Cathi mentions that no matter what forms we get we need to practice filling them out to gain familiarity.

Dan brought up that he is going to get a list from Vicki so he can get the donor plaques made. Cathi reminds us that we still have a $100 gift certificate ear marked for SAR dogs that needs to be spent before the end of the year.

We are looking at getting some training aids for CPR/1st Aid classes. Cathi has some older trainers that were donated but we need a place to store them and there is the question of longevity of the equipment. Dan has some new equipment ready to purchase for our use (teaching), we believe that we may go forward with it next month.

Cathi reminds us that the Bloodbourne Pathogens training will be needed soon.

New business begins with a documentary request; so far nobody has any objections to having a documenter film and cover our activities (excluding real searches).

EMA is planning mass disaster training, the main one that is being planned is flooding. We were reminded that last year could’ve been worse for flooding than it already was. The next meeting will be equipment readiness, Dan suggested throw ropes, PFD’s, helmets, a raft, and static lines. Neil brought up additional equipment such as zodiacs, dry suit/wet suits, but equipment should come with training to avoid over confidence.

Dan met with the SO, they brought up radios (lack there-of), they promise it was a one-time occurance, Todd believes they shoud be moved somewhere else.  The SO they could transport the trailer to a search upon request as long as it wasn’t the first thing done. If your gear gets damaged on a search, you need to go out the next day and replace it, the kicker is that the reimbursement won’t happen until October (fuel is 5 days and is at a Federal rate). Brenna suggested putting all this information and the forms on our website for everyone to get easily. Snowmobile training was also brought up and in discussion the SO was instructed to buy us a snowmachine (it was purchased). The machine still requires about $200 worth of upgrades that will help with longevity. Dan proposed that we get rid of the old ones, us being a non-profit organization we have to put them up for bid. They do require some TLC but they still run. Matt moves that we sell the old sleds, Brenna 2nd, and motion carries. With the possible sale of the 2 older machines, Dan wants to start looking at getting another newer one, he knows of one that may be available. With the a quick check of the finances dan asked if anyone has any problems purchasing a used at a reasonable rate; Matt moves that we purchase the used machine, Brenna 2nd and motion passes.

The SO is putting together a grant to purchase some new snow machines, if they do get it then we get their old ones but that may be up to a year out.
The SO also wants to start doing tourniquet training with their deputies and SAR personnel

Also brought up was swift water training along with land navigation, Dan wants to bring in Russell Clark to train (2 day) with land nav.

Swift water training will be basics (as per normal) with throw bags and classroom stuff early next year.

Matt talked to Laramie screen printing and looked at different materials and patterns. He looks at 50/50 poly cotton dry blends and looked at colors and found that orange is the best for us, with various different styles. Standard black lettering will be the standard at $11.10 a shirt if we order 50 or more, add $2 for extra sizes. At the meeting this month we will take size information and get sign-ups for the new shirts. We will be getting pictures taken for ID’s in the November meeting.

Dan and Brenna sat down and talked with Park county SAR, among the issues brought up were marking the IC and who to report to. Other ideas were teams out on searches carrying strobes for easy spotting, getting our training identified as college credits (maybe through LCCC) or NASAR credits. There is a SARTEC 2 class upcoming in Casper in November if anyone is interested, Cathi described what is involved with that. Cathi also brought up that she believes it would be advantageous of us to get all our members at least SARTEC 3 certified.

November 8th we have the territorial prison reserved for mock search (critical separation) drills. We also will be doing terminology familiarization along with the search part.

Brenna brings up that along with our new requirements for members and required training, the SO would like to see known Team Leaders among the group. Among the required training, ICS classes were brought up specifically ICS 700, remember that member that have been a part of ACSSAR for a while have until the end of the year while new member have 1 calender year. Several examples were given of how to obtain Team Leader status. Cathi suggests that there be some sort of recognition for those that obtain the necessary requirements for Team Leader whatever that may be.  Brenna would like to see some additional minimum training requirements for new members in order to be fielded. Neil brought up that interviews with the new members could also be implemented so we could get to know the new members. Brenna proposed bi monthly mock callouts for 2015, this would include knowing what day it but not the exact time, a callout would be issued and members would have to use critical thinking like a real search.

In Attendance

Dan Hutchinson

Matt Allshouse

Cathi Carr-Lundfelt

Brenna Noll

Josh Hurt

Harold

Neil Matheson

ACSSAR Board Meeting 9-23-14

Call to Order:  1903

Present:  Harold Magness, Dan Hutchison, Brenna Noll, Neil Mathison, Cathi Carr-Lundfelt

Old Business: 

Weapons Policy:  Looked over latest draft presented at regular meeting. No changes were made. Cathi moved to vote the policy into effect; Brenna seconded; all were in favor.

Radios:  Dan is still going to make the purchase.

Fundraising @ McAllister’s:  Not discussed because Matt was unable to attend the meeting.

Training:  Cathi heard back from Kurt and search management training is scheduled for October 18-19 and should end Sunday by noon. Cathi will line up a hotel for the instructor and look into a location for the classroom portion with AV capabilities, possibly at the Fire Department.

Donor Plaques:  Need to check with Vicki on largest donors before ordering.

Community Outreach:  Local Girl Scout junior and cadette troops contacted Dan and requested a talk on outdoor safety and survival and first aid on October 2nd.

Cathi gave a talk on Sunday the 21st at the Canterbury House on Search & Rescue.

Trailer Power Supply:  Need a workday to install the new power supply. Dan will bring the trailer to his house and schedule the workday either for this Saturday or over a few weeknights.

(Brenna interjected new business) Trailer Substitute Bins:  Dan put together a tub containing a butane stove, percolating coffee pot, disposable cups, water, coffee, tea, soup, napkins, etc. that can be taken to a search site when the trailer isn’t hauled up.

Brenna and Dan put together clipboards of useful SAR forms, maps, and writing utensils to be kept in several board member’s/officer’s  vehicles and one to go in the SAR tub, again for when the trailer isn’t hauled up. These are meant to help with search organization and make sure things are not overlooked, and to document our search involvement.

Brenna also proposed putting together a tub of spare gear, particularly warm clothing and rain gear, that could be provided to subjects or searchers.

Red Cross Training:  Another LTP training is being scheduled for Spring 2015 by the Red Cross. Approximately 5 ACSSAR members have already expressed interest in taking the course. Price points need to be set for classes, both for profit and non-profit groups. Dan proposed setting the cost at $20 below Red Cross prices, except for the Blood Borne Pathogen course which would remain at the same cost as the Red Cross class. Also need new mannequins for training. Dan found Red Cross approved set of 2 adult, 2 infant, and 1 trained AED for $435. Brenna and Cathi proposed ACSSAR buy 2 sets to have sufficient mannequins for a class of 8. Brenna also proposed buying disposable lungs, cleaning supplies, and non-rebreather masks. Dan and Brenna proposed buying 10 CPR Pro manuals (@ $5.95/manual) and 10 Lay person manuals (@ 8.50/manual) as an ACSSAR set. Cathi moved we purchase the materials; Dan seconded; all were in favor.

New Business:

Resignation and Replacement:  Travis Wright resigned from the ACSSAR Board of Directors on Tuesday September 23rd. According to the Bylaws, the remaining BoD may elect a replacement. Brenna moved to elect Neil Mathison; Dan seconded; all were in favor.

Conversation w/ Lt. Fritzen:   Dan spoke with Lt. Fritzen earlier in the week. Fritzen recommended additional insurance for non-call out SAR activities. He also advised that ACSSAR members on future searches could immediately following the search buy replacements for lost or damaged gear and submit the receipt to the SO for reimbursement, however the reimbursements only occur annually in October.

Call Out Policy:  Colonel Day who is heading up ROTC was added to the call out list to be better apprised of ROTC members whereabouts during searches; he is not going to use the page out to notify ROTC of searches. ROTC members, or members of other interested groups, are welcome to join SAR and be part of regular page outs, but must meet active ACSSAR requirements to remain on list. Discussed adding ROTC as an auxiliary group that can be paged out if requested by the SO. Also discussed that family and friends of ACSSAR members are not allowed to respond to page outs under the ACSSAR name due to insurance policies.

September Meeting:  Topic will be ACSSAR Search Procedures, and the training will begin with a debrief of the Labor Day Weekend rescue. Discussed making the presentation a mandatory sign-off for 2015.

Re-Visited Goals from March:  Progress has been made on fundraising. Membership, particularly active membership, has increased. Dan would like to see this at 80 active members. Training quality and quantity has increased. Snowmobile training this winter will be scheduled in advance. The BoD would like to do more to support the Mountain Bike team next summer. A mounted unit had been discussed in the previous goals meeting, but is difficult to organize. Discussed setting up an affiliate group. Discussed making the Nordic Ski Patrol another affiliate group. The BoD would like to see improvements in the formation of a support unit. Discussed making an affiliate group for a canteen/mess unit. Would still like to see 2-hr Green Belt mock searches. Discussed contacting Russell Clark to arrange a winter mock search including an overnight. Discussed incorporating training for officer positions in March 2015.

Upcoming Training:  Neil provided Avalanche Course dates:  the UW course will be February 3, 5, 7, 10, and 14, and the ski patrol course will be February 17, 19, 22, 24, and March 1 (the weekdays will be classroom days, the weekend days will be field days). An additional day on group rescue (Module 3) is tentatively scheduled for February 28th.

Dan moved to adjourn the meeting; Brenna seconded. Meeting ended at 2124.

Sept - 7th -  1625 ACSSAR  received a call out due to a Personal Locator Beacon being activated in the Centennial Ridge area. Eleven members had responded and were in route when a Stand Down was issued at 1725. The couple who activated the PLB were located and accounted for. Thanks to those able to responded.

 

August 30, 2153 hours ACSSAR received a call out for assistance from the Medicine Bow Peak / Lewis Lake area for two men needing assistance while on a hike. Both were cold, wet and exhausted due to weather. ACSSAR along with deputies from the sheiffs office mobilized for a multiple carry-out rescue operation that completed around 0800 this morning. Thank you to those members responding!

ACSSAR Board Meeting 8/19/14

1900 Meeting start, old business starts with the weapons policy. Dan wants to bring any final drafts to the whole group at the next meeting, Josh brought up that on the form it doesn’t specify if a hard copy Carry Conceal Permit is required. Dan printed out a draft of a proposed policy, after reviewing the draft some changes on wording was suggested and implemented.

Radios: Dan will be making the radio purchase soon, at the meeting we will ask if anyone is going to make private purchase.

High Angle training: there will be another class coming up this Monday.

Fundraising: Matt dropped off the application for McAllister’s fundraiser. The days will be in Sept 8th, 16th, 24th (tentatively). Old Corral Sept 11th will be the next donation dinner day.

Jelm Mtn run, we will have a sign-up sheet at the next meeting for Sept 20th

Training: Search Management; Cathi is still trying to lock up a date for the class, possibly the first weekend in October. 18th is going to be first choice, the 4th will be an alternate.

Donor Plaques: still need to come up with a list of who will receive.

Cathi will be speaking to a congregation at Saint Matthews about service dogs (search dogs) and what she does with them.

Trailer: We still plan on bringing the trailer to the general meeting for training associated. A work day will be planned soon.

New business starts with short haul training, the SO has tried multiple times to get it scheduled but it ended up being an orientation to Life Flight.

Dan is still working on the call out policy

August Meeting will be trailer orientation/training

Red Cross: Brenna briefed the Board on training opportunities for us for fundraising. Red Cross would charge a material fee and we could keep any funds from training outside people for fundraising for ACSSAR. Dan and Brenna will be going to class this weekend to teach and certify for 1st aid CPR. We would need to replace some of our training aids but Dan believes we would still end up making money for the group. Dan’s only concern would be that Red Cross wants us to be able to teach for the whole area. This would be very beneficial for the group no matter what but we need volunteers willing to get the certification and are willing to teach.

Matt will be ordering more shirts soon, he will be confirming which sizes to order and types.

The land nav course was an amazing success, we would like to bring in Russell Clark for even more training, he even proposed a full on mock search for the future where he would bring in all his communication equipment.

Meeting End at 2000

 

 

In Attendance

Dan Hutchinson

Brenna Noll

Cathi Carr-Lundelt

Matt Allshouse

Josh Hurt

ACSSAR Meeting 7/29/14

1900- Meeting Start Josh read off the board meeting minutes, Vikki read off the financial report with some errors, the official and revised report will be emailed to Josh for the official record. Dan read off the training report, the tracking class has been canceled but Dan and Brenna will try to set up a class on Thursday. If interested, sign up will be here. WFA class was also canceled due to lack of interest, Travis will attempt to set up a class in 2015, there will be 1st aid class soon for those who need to certify.

High angle training; we’re still trying to set up a lot of training throughout the summer, the next training is the 11th of August, there will be an additional one on the 25th.

The tracking classes scheduled need to be re-scheduled.

Dan brought in the vests and shirts for any of those who wish to get them tonight.

New Business, please pay attention the call back number provided in the call out, that number will have the most up to date information. If you miss the first call out, call dispatch for information about what is going on. If you cannot participate in a callout, please respond to the call out regardless, the same goes for the stand down call, it helps to track who may still be in route to the call out. You can text back a reply to the call out, this is preferred.

Recent calls: overdue hikers, 7/18 we had people in the field, the stand down was given rather quickly.

Injured skier 7/20- the skier sent a thank you and a check for $100, it was a long carry out

7/21 head injury- injured person was able to walk out so the stand down was given early.

Old Corral next thankful Thursday is Aug 7th, the final one is Sept 11th.

Trailer work day, there is still quite some work needing to be done and the power supply needs to be hooked up, suggestions are welcome on possible days that would work. Vikki adds that the title for the mule is in Vikki and Mike’s safe deposit box, their son and daughter also have access.

Weapons policy is in draft form, an email will be sent out to all members for review.

The Jelm Mountain run is coming up on the 20th of September.

Reminder: K9 training meets up regularly each week, feel free to contact Cathi to sign up to be contacted for scheduling.

Tonight’s training will be working with K9 teams.